Like, please?

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Last Resort

First of all, The Last Resort is a nifty little thriller. I just wanted to get that out of the way. (Read the reviews at the end.)

It's definitely not your stereotypical book about domestic violence, because that's not the book I wanted to write. So, if that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed.

There are, however, a LOT of books out there about domestic violence. Most are the run of the mill 'poor, pitiful me' or 'waiting to be rescued' type of thing.

I wanted nothing to do with them. I wanted to write about a strong, capable person, one who grew from experience, not who labored under it. Not the label - domestic violence victim or domestic violence survivor - but the individual. Someone who learned from experience, could kick ass and take names.

So I wrote The Last Resort to show that one needed to be neither a 'victim' nor a 'survivor' and that you could have happy, healthy relationships.

I also wanted to show a real relationship, full of pitfalls and stumbles, but also a living, working romance. I've yet to be in, or witness to, a new romance between two adults that didn't include sex - passionate, mad-about-each-other sex. And I wanted to emphasize that those who've experienced DV can have full, healthy sex lives with those they've learned to love and trust. Still, those who've experienced domestic violence - and suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder because of it - do have those specific issues where relationships are concerned. I wanted to be honest, too. I also wanted to answer some questions in a way that wasn't judgmental of anyone, because realistically, a lot of people do go back into DV relationships. I wanted to show a little of why.

Of all my books The Last Resort is probably the most personal and much of it is based on real events as they took place, in the time frame in which they occurred. Some of the characters are based - very loosely - on real people. Not least of which is Carrie, who is probably as close to me as any. Other characters are completely imaginary. *grins* I'm not saying which is which. I'll leave you all to guess.

Reviews
"This is a story that is real; maybe too real in some ways. I came to know the main character, Carrie, and felt like I was present in everything she was going through in the story. Some things in this world are hard to hear but need to be said. This story does that. And huge props for the author in creating a pretty big cast of supporting characters, each with their own personalities. It's a crazy, scary, fun gang of people that are both emotionally present and will kick butt for their closest friends. As a romantic suspense, it covers both pretty well and though Carrie's love interest is not a story book stud, I think you'll find him attractive. There were some very nice settings in this story and a great wrap up at the end."
A Hint of Murder

5.0 out of 5 stars "Riveting And Sexy." It was one of the most riveting page turners I've ripped through in a long time. I guess those who are a bit prudish about detailed sex episodes may be put off by this book. However, that is only a portion of this exciting story with its wonderful characters. For once an investigative work of fiction doesn't revolve around a murder, but a disappearance, where the victim is still very much alive. I found the back story of a woman who heads up a spousal abuse rescue program very enlightening and the cast of well developed characters built around this group make for a very entertaining read also. The developing hot romance between the two main protagonists really adds some spice to an already great page turner. The description of the mountain location resort area during the Fall season with its colorful foliage also was a great addition to the story. This is one of those books that once I started it, I couldn't put it down and finished in record time. I hope to read more books by Valerie Douglas in the future.

Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/62262


20% of the author's proceeds from this book will go to benefit victims of Domestic Violence.